Taming tension at your desk is an ongoing challenge if you spend much time there. Sometimes simple is the way to go, and this stretch can revitalize you on the spot. As you move through the steps, allow your movement to be fluid and easy from one step to the next.
- Push your chair back and sit toward the front of the chair, feet flat on the floor and belly button pulling in slightly toward your spine. Place your hands in your lap, palms up, one on top of the other.
- Stretch your arms out to the sides, parallel with the floor… and reach out through your fingers.
- Arms still outstretched, raise your hands up over your head until they meet each other and you can interlace your fingers.
- Turn your palms upward and reach for the sky.
- Arms still outstretched, lower them back to parallel with the floor, and then return to your starting position with hands in your lap.
Now add your breath like this …
Breathe in as you raise your arms and reach up. Breathe out as you lower your arms back to your sides and return your hands to your lap. Pace your movement so your breathing is comfortable, with no strain. Keep your movement smooth and easy.
How do you feel after doing this 2 or 3 times?
Even with simple movements like these, always maintain awareness and do what you know you can do safely.